Sunday, September 7, 2008

Wasson?

Much of the blogosphere (funny word, ain't it?) seems to be in love with the model-of-the-moment, Erin Wasson. The Alexander Wang muse (and honestly, who doesn't love Alexander Wang?) seems to be everywhere right now....

But the fact is, I'm just not that into her. I don't know what it is, but I don't really think she's anything special. Sure, she has that trendy just-rolled-out-of-bed look down to pat, but most of the time she just looks trashy. She does have a killer designer shoe collection... but wouldn't we all if we were models?

It's quite a talent to look like you're about to show off both your nipples and your butt crack, both at once.

But in all seriousness, she basically wears loose tops and cutoff shorts or flare jeans. Not a fashion crime exactly, but it ain't that interesting, folks. Well, maybe wearing bootcut is considered rebellious because all the fashion people wear skinnies, but it really isn't. Half the girls in my school own those very jeans, minus the trailer-trash-meets-Rocawear lace-up bit.

Rumi rocks the Erin Wasson x RVCA so much better than Erin herself. She's also much prettier in my opinion (even when making a kissy face).

She also totally copied my idea of wearing a corset over a white t-shirt. Okay, it's possible she did it first, but still....

This is scary. She was asked to model for Victoria's Secret, which makes sense I suppose because she does have a great model body. But it also doesn't make sense, because she really isn't pretty in a Victoria's Secret way. Well, if you can call that Marissa (I think that's her name?) girl pretty (I prefer Hollywood-plastic-scary). But I'm just jealous of their model-ness right?

This is my other problem with her. She can't pull off things like this. I guess it's not a big deal—not many people can—but she's supposed to be a model. It must be her manface ooh that was mean. Had to say it though. I kind of do like the way she looks, it's just... I don't know. Not compatible with certain looks.

Well basically what I'm trying to get across is not that Erin Wasson sucks or anything but more that I don't really understand why people are so obsessed with her. And the fact that her admittedly cool line of body chains were total knockoffs is a serious turn-off. Compared to so many bloggers, she is NOT stylish. I just don't really understand her appeal.

21 comments:

Stephanie said...

Agreed. I don't really like her or Alexander Wang - I mean, it's cool and all and I would totally love to look as hot as her, but it's seriously BORING.

WendyB said...

This is hilarious: "It's quite a talent to look like you're about to show off both your nipples and your butt crack, both at once." What a good description of that picture. I agree with you...I think she's a very pretty girl who dresses in a casual way. Nothing to write home about unless she added some Wendy Brandes jewelry. Some people seem to think loose shirt and denim short-shorts are the height of style. While I concede that outfit is very sexy on a young girl (and young girls should live it up because they ain't gonna be wearing that at my age), it's more about youthful sex appeal and showing skin than fashion or style.

emily said...

oh-my-god, i totally agree with you. i don't like erin wasson at ALL. i really just don't get it. i didn't even like her body chains.. i mean, body chains? WTF much? and that prada thing she is wearing in the last photo is hideous.
sorry. mini-rant over. just wanted to say i hate erin wasson (well, how she comes across, i don't know her) too. even if you don't hate her... come on, you know you do =D

holly said...

haha i love your take on her it gives a different perspective rather than OH MY GOSH ERIN WASSON!

chin said...

WHOA..very different comments i just read here.how funny i just finished reading all the comments on rumi's page before i visited ur site girl. hmm..amusing. thanks!

FashionSqueah! said...

I have to say I agree, maybe it's the jelousy talking becuase I don't get expensive shoes or to design my own clothes, but I don't really see the big deal about her! That's not to say I dislike her, she's just not my favourite model by a long way...plus she's kinda grubby looking, no? I am still jelous that Rumi met her though, hypocrite that I am! Char x

fritha louise said...

I totally agree with you! I think there's so many other models who do the "model off duty" look in a more interesting way, I just find Erin pretty boring most of the time, all her outfits just blend into one.
Oh, and the nipples and buttcrack thing made me laugh out loud!

Anonymous said...

she's gorgeous and a fashion genius... otherwise rvca wouldn't have had her do a line... the current obsession with her is not without reason

Wendy said...

I actually agree with you. For style icon status, I'd choose someone else.

Anonymous said...

the body chain THEFT thing kinda did bother me and turn me off of erin.

Hanna said...

I am so sick of this whole thing of thinking a girl a tank and mini combo and high heels is like, the incarnation of GOD, when it's really based on the fact that they're tall/pretty/skinny.

WendyB said...

Hanna, it's driving me crazier all the time. It's great that they're hot but they're not fashionable. I was just looking at a picture now, and honestly she was just slightly classier looking than the local prostitutes.

Kylie said...

Wow, right on sista! I completely agree with everything. Esp the part about jacking those body chain idea for that bliss lau (soon to be jacked by me...).
Not hot!!

Tavi said...

I really like that in this post, and the one about Kira Plastinina, you speak your opinions even if not everyone will agree. Kudos!
I'm not a fan either, and like wendyb said, what she wears is more about looking hot than stylish. If Britney wore that top the tabloids would call it trashy, but since this girl has her own line of body chains I guess that means it's fashion on her?
Except for the fact that the chains were a rip off, which truly upsets me. I feel so bad for Bliss! Sometimes you just wonder how people expect to get away with these kinds of things...wow, ignorant, but still...

Isabel said...

I don't mind Erin Wasson, but totally agree that the whole blogosphere needs to get over her. White shirts and jean cutoffs put me to sleep.

Unknown said...

totes agree. People are confusing "pretty and thin" with fashionable.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE ERIN!! She is not only gorgeous but very talented! I can't wait for her RVCA line!!!

Anonymous said...

ERIN WASSON SMELLS LIKE SHE LICKED AN ASHTRAY FOR BREAKFAST. ...
SHI IS NOT 26.. SHE IS LIKE 30. AND THAT IS NOT THE NEW 18.

SHE TAKES IT IN THE BUTT IN PUBLIC PLACES BY DIRTY LITTLE BOYS...

SHE NEVER BEEN IN VICTORIA'S SECRET WEARING LINGERIE BECAUSE SHE'S SKINNIER THAN AN HIV POSITIVE CRACK-HEAD ( WHICH SHE PROBABLY IS).

AND HER JEWELRY IS A RIP-OFF TOO???????

POSER ASS FAKE ASS....
MEET ME AT THE CUBE SO I CAN SHOW YOU HOW TO OLLIE... WHILST WEARING MY HEELS!

Anonymous said...

haha.. hilarious. I do think the body chain theft part is just haughty of her, but come on.. 99.9% of the population would agree that she is drop dead gorgeous. And comparing her looks to Rumi? Don't get me wrong, Rumi is cute, but not on the same level as Erin at all. I'm not a fan of Erin's character but I could never deny that she is very striking visually.

Anonymous said...

I don't like Erin Wasson's personal style either. It's just a lot of the same thing over and over again. And I'm a fan of the laid-back look but I also think sometimes you just have to look presentable. I remember once she wore cut of jean-shorts (with the pockets hanging out) with heels to a dinner.

Anonymous said...

She is so arrogant and so just following the trend right now. I actually think she doesnt look very nice, and she comes across spoilt. Everyone should follow Isabella Fontana, Anya Rubik and alexa chung for personal style (chloe sevigny) because they are original and wicked dresses. She looks like she doesnt eat anything, is addicted to the media and takes shit loads of cocaine. Enough said.